Health Care in Nanaimo: Nanaimo Hospitals, Walk In Clinics, and other Medical Services
Moving to Nanaimo, or anywhere for that matter, is more than just finding a house. I can help you consider the best Nanaimo neighbourhoods, schools, and water views, but what about the less-glamourous side of relocating, like finding a new doctor, or dentist? How close is the nearest Nanaimo hospital or walk-in clinic?
Where do you even start?
Finding a Hospital
Nanaimo is fortunate in that as Vancouver Island's second largest city, we are a centre for state-of-the-art health care facilities.
Top of the list is the brand new 3,082 square-metre Emergency Department expansion at the Nanaimo Regional General Hospital (NRGH) which triples the size of the existing emergency department and includes psychiatric emergency services and a psychiatric intensive care unit.
- Nanaimo Regional General Hospital
1200 Dufferin Crescent
Nanaimo, BC V9S 2B7
Nanaimo: (250) 755.7691
Parksville/Qualicum: (250) 947.8214 (toll free)
Finding a Doctor
- The BCDoctorDirectory maintains an easy to search list of general practice doctors in Nanaimo and specialists.
- For a list of doctors accepting patients, go the BC College of Physicians and Surgeons web site, and use the Find a Physician tool.
Finding a Walk In Clinic
When you need non-emergency medical care and a family doctor isn’t available, a walk-in clinic is a lifesaver. There are half a dozen walk-in clinics in the central Nanaimo area alone.
- Besides the clinics listed here, HealthlinkBC has a list clinics in the Nanaimo area.
Wellington Medical Clinic
3200 Island Highway
340 Campbell Street
Island Emerald Medical Centre
1273 South Island Highway
Finding a Dentist
- To find a Nanaimo dentist, orthodontist or dental specialist accepting new patients, visit the BC Dental Association.
- Dentpedia.ca also has a searchable list of 62 dentists from Nanaimo
General Medical Care Links